In case you couldn’t already tell, I’m very excited about this one. I have been L-U-S-T-I-N-G over a pair of booties I found a while back. The original pair I found were black, but there was a brown option as well. BOTH were kind of amazzzinggggg. However… not amazing enough to spend $375 on a pair of shoes. Sorry. No can do. SO…. for the newest DIY I have created my own pair. I hope you like them and I hope this will inspire you to create a pair too!!
To begin with, I have to admit… I went to the local thrift store and my SISTER had a HUGE find. She found this pair of boots, unworn, with the tags still on!! For a whole $8! Unlucky for her (but so damn lucky for me) they were not her size. But they were my size!!! You know how I love a good thrift store find. Especially when I can see the ‘end product’ in my head and I have no fear of messing up because the purchase price was so cheap. But anyway… here are the $8 boots:
To begin, I used a pair of cut-through-any-crap pair of scissors and literally just chopped off the top of the boot. I wasn’t too concerned about a straight line, because in my mind the more ‘jagged and roughed-up’ the better.
Then I grabbed a pocket knife and just rubbed it back and forth along the tops of the boots . The more patience you have for this, the better. Because… (like I said before) the more roughed up and jagged, the better.
Earlier in the morning I had made a stop at the local arts and crafts store, and picked up an assorted bag of brown leather strings. I also found these bronze/gold chains in the sale section. I figured the more ‘bling’ the better, so why not. The cross chains I found in the sale section of “Claire’s” accessory store. Apparently these aren’t in style anymore and they HAD to get rid of them. So… one by one I just started tying all of my bling around the cut off boots:
I was a littttttle concerned about the chains moving around when I walked, so I added a little bit of hot glue in areas that wouldn’t be too noticeable, just to hold them in place.
Once I had all of the ‘bling’ added, the boots still didn’t look ‘roughed up’ enough. So… I brought out my trusty flat black spray paint. A quick spritz or two around the areas that needed to look worn in added just the right touch:
I even added a few ‘spritzes’ in the areas where I had added a bit of hot glue, and it did a great job of hiding the glue!